Homeschool Insurance with Heart
Home School Insurance Solutions provides homeschool co-ops and groups like yours with the insurance coverage needed to protect you and your children.
NCG is simplifying homeschool co-op insurance with a solution designed with you in mind
You’ve made the important decision to educate your child at home by participating in your local home school group to enhance your child’s learning experience. Our exclusive program provides home school groups like yours with the insurance coverage you need to meet public liability requirements, as well as pay for medical expenses for injuries incurred, due to your child’s participation in a group activity.
NCG Insurance Agency is the exclusive agent for Home School Insurance Solutions and Home School Sports Solutions. Both group insurance programs were designed specifically for the needs of home school support group activities, just like yours.
Home School Insurance Solutions offers a broad range of coverage to protect students for ongoing activities throughout the year, including field trips and gym classes. Protection is also available for organizations hosting conferences.
Homeschool Insurance for Parents Made Simple
Understand why homeschool groups may need insurance coverage, what kind of coverage to get and how to get it.
Most homeschool group leaders don't realize they may need insurance coverage for their co-op or group. In fact, many leaders are surprised when they inquire about a meeting space and need to show a certificate of insurance to the property owner. Unless parents are familiar with insurance, this task of insuring their homeschool group may seem daunting and confusing. Plus, there is very little information about this type of insurance out there for parents. Stepping up to lead a homeschool co-op shouldn’t have red tape. Below, we've broken down why homeschool groups may need insurance coverage, what kind of coverage to get and where to get it.
Does my homeschool co-op need group insurance?
What is homeschool insurance? It's simply a separate and specific insurance policy for a homeschool co-op or group. This specialized policy is tailored to provide financial coverage for its leaders and participants from unfortunate events such as medical accidents, property damage and more.
Determining whether a homeschool group requires insurance involves three essential considerations:
First, it's important to be aware of the state laws that apply to homeschooling groups. Some states classify these groups as "home-based businesses," which means they require specific insurance coverage. Additionally, if a credentialed teacher is involved, the group may need insurance similar to that required for a daycare, depending on state laws. The Home School Legal Defense Association provides a helpful resource for parents to review state homeschool laws.
Second, most property owners require a Certificate of Insurance before renting their space to a homeschool group. This certificate assures the property owner that the homeschool group has insurance coverage to help pay for damages, theft, abuse or accidents on the property. If a group doesn't have insurance coverage, the property owner may be put at risk and, because of this, may not allow homeschool groups to use their property. Some groups can bypass this by becoming an extension of the property’s business or ministry. In this case, the group may be covered under the property owner’s insurance policy. However, if the group plans to meet in different locations, have field trips or even social events, this option may still leave the homeschool group at risk depending on the type of coverage the business or ministry has.
Third and most crucial, if the group does not have insurance, the homeschool group leaders or hosts put themselves at a great deal of personal risk. Without homeschool co-op insurance, these leaders may be held personally liable and financially responsible if any unfortunate event occurs.
Many parents ask, “What if my group is meeting in my home? Am I covered under my homeowners policy?” While parents may be able to work with their personal insurance providers to add a homeschool group to their homeowner’s policy, the type of coverage needed for a homeschool co-op is unlike what a homeowners policy typically offers. If group leaders do this, they may be spending more money on coverage that isn’t designed for homeschool groups, leaving gaps in their coverage and protection. It is important to understand that without a separate, specific insurance policy, the host is held personally liable and could result in a financial loss and/or a personal lawsuit. Overall, being a co-op leader should not involve taking on personal and financial risks. That is why specific homeschool group insurance was created.
What kind of coverage does my group need?
Let’s look at the different types of coverage:
- General Liability - provides coverages for damages or theft to the property where the group rents or meets. This could be a church building, group leader’s home and more. Depending on the insurance provider and policy language it may include additional coverages.
- Accidental Medical Coverage – provides excess (secondary) medical coverage if someone is injured and needs medical care while participating in a supervised or sponsored homeschool activity.
- Abuse and Molestation Coverage – provides the organization with protection and legal defense if an accusation or actual loss happens.
- Directors and Officers Insurance (D&O) – provides coverage to the leaders from potential financial losses if they are sued for actions they make on behalf of the group. This is recommended for groups that are required to be legally structured due to state laws.
General Liability, Accident Medical, and Abuse & Molestation coverage are highly recommended for homeschool groups. Directors and Officers liability coverage may also be necessary depending on the structure of the co-op.
What makes NCG Insurance Agency's coverage simple to get, yet packed with affordable, strong protection for homeschool groups?
- NCG’s simple online portal enables parents to create an account and select the coverage they need, bundled together with a real-time quote they can see. From there, they can pay and receive policy documents immediately. Also, should they ever need to view or edit their policy they can do so on the portal at any time.
- Because NCG’s Homeschool Solutions program was created specifically for homeschool groups, co-ops are getting the right coverage they need and not paying for coverage they don’t. Its competitive protection leaves group members at peace and secure.
- If a group is legally structured, they offer coverage for both for-profit and nonprofit entities, as well as Directors & Officers Liability and Workers Compensation insurance. They also offer private or group tutor insurance.
In conclusion, homeschool insurance is essential for every homeschool group. With NCG Insurance Agency’s Homeschool Insurance Solutions program, parents can skip the confusion and receive the competitive, yet strong protection their group needs, giving them back the time and energy to invest in their child’s education.
Apply today so you can get back to enriching our future generations.
Our online registration portal is simple to use, explains the coverages that we offer and will allow you to purchase immediately.
Need more info?
Contact us and we would be happy to send you more information and answer any questions.
Home School Legal Defense Association (HSLDA) and Classical Conversations do not assume any of the insurance risk provided by the Accident Medical and General Liability Carrier. HSLDA and Classical Conversations are not involved in the administration of these plans including premium collection or adjudication of claims.